Do I Need a CDL to Rent a Truck?
When is a CDL Required to Rent a Truck?
Sometimes you need to rent a bigger truck for an uptick in deliveries or for larger cargo than you regularly haul. For large commercial truck rentals you may wonder, is a commercial driver’s license (CDL) required to secure a truck?
CDL Requirements Depend on GVWR
Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is a static number that dictates the maximum safe operating weight of vehicles including the weight of the vehicle, cargo, passengers, and fuel. This total determines a commercial vehicle’s class:
- Light-Duty – No CDL Required
- Class 1: 0-6,000-lbs
- Class 2: 6,001-10,000-lbs
- Class 3: 10,001-14,000-lbs
- Medium-Duty – No CDL Required
- Class 4: 14,001-16,000-lbs
- Class 5: 16,001-19,500-lbs
- Class 6: 19,501-26,000-lbs
- Heavy-Duty – Class B CDL Required*
If you opt for these heavy-duty vehicles to reduce pickup trips or increase accessibility, you will need a Class B CDL.
- Class 7: 26,001-33,000-lbs
- Class 8: 33,001-lbs or more, including all tractor-trailers
Not sure if your preferred truck requires a CDL? The experts at Diamond Mitsubishi Fuso can help. Contact us at 408-263-7300 for assistance finding your ideal rental today.