Heavy duty diesel semi-trucks are in a league of their own, built to withstand the relentless abuse of hefty cargo and long hours on the road. This extra durability translates to a longer service life – but just how long should your commercial diesel truck last? Many factors influence a vehicle’s lifespan.
Average Lifespan of Commercial Diesel Trucks
Unlike passenger vehicles, which start to decline rapidly after registering about 200,000 miles on the odometer, commercial diesel trucks can last 750,000 miles or more with proper care. For trucks that rack up an average milage of 45,000 miles per year, that averages out to about a 15-year lifespan. Regular diesel truck maintenance and repair to curb wear-and-tear can help you maximize your truck’s usable life as far beyond this as possible.
Semi-Truck Maintenance Tips for Maximizing Lifespan
To keep your truck on the road for the long haul, stay on top of these maintenance tasks:
Extend semi-truck lifespan with regular oil and filter changes
- Clean, fresh oil ensures proper lubrication and reduces engine stress
Reduce vehicle wear with the right tires
- The right commercial truck tires reduce wear and tear on brakes and suspension, improving traction and safety and keeping your vehicle in peak condition
Minimize stress and reduce accident risk with regular brake maintenance
- Like your tires, regular brake system maintenance ensures top performance, reducing vehicle wear and extending lifespan
Keep a close eye on operating temperatures
- Monitor coolant and service your cooling system on schedule to avoid extensive engine damage from overheating
Regularly maintain your fuel system
- Ensure your fuel system is clear of water, dirt, and other contaminants that could harm your engine, adding fuel additives as recommended by your diesel truck service technician
Maximize mileage and extend how long your commercial diesel truck lasts withcomplete diesel truck maintenance in San Jose, Campbell, Cupertino, Milpitas, and Morgan Hill from Diamond Mitsubishi Fuso. Contact us at 408-263-7300 to schedule diesel truck maintenance today.